Name:
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Currently a student at York U with an English major and a History minor. I live with the books =)

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Nuts and Blots Poetry

So this week's lecture was on simple poetry that deals with everyday topics. I recalled a poem that a teacher used to refer to constantly within class, during lecture and have found it and have posted it below.

Its not a long poem which makes me think that it may be an epigram, which I have found a number of definitions for. Some definitions include: a) an inscription of verse on a tomb or a coin, b) a short poem appearing at the start of a longer poem and c) a short humerous poem written in couplets used to make a satiric point. I'm not sure if it really is an epigram but here it is anyway:

This is Just to Say
by William Carlos Williams

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

Hope that the silliness of the poem brought a smile to your face! Any ideas on whether that is an epigram or not?

sv

1 Comments:

Blogger sue_sue said...

Oppps!

As the professor noted I used the word "simplistic" in my blog. I am guilty of a couple things upon using that word:

1. Not having read the professor's blog and enlightening myself as to the misuse of that word.
2. Not having proof read my own blog before posting

I have realized my error and will go in and change the word on my blog.

sv

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home